City of Arlington
P.O. Box 126
Arlington, GA 39813
Arlington Marvin King
City Council Willie Sue Freeman
City Council Jerome
City Council Lisa Aldridge
City Council Chuck Cowart
Welcome To Arlington, Georgia!
Arlington is a
unique historical town in Southwest Georgia.
integral part of Arlington's history is the railroad. From its
early history that began in 1873 until now, the railroad has long
been a part of Arlington. read more...
City of Arlington is the hub of medical facilities in Calhoun county.
Arlington plays an important
role in the health and well being for citizens of Calhoun County.
Excellent dental facilities, health clinic, pharmecutical supplies, a senior citizen
center, boys and girls club, and an elementary/middle school and
much more makes Arlington a great place to live.
May Day Festival
in 1932, Arlington is home to the long standing May Day
festival and parade. People from all the surrounding areas
come to see this exciting annual event!
Arlington's Early History
Franklin Lawrence Pepper
inherited a large estate in Early and Randolph Counties
after his fathers’ death in 1847. Early County included
areas North of Ft Gaines at that time. Soon thereafter,
around 1858, Franklin sold all his property in Ft Gaines for
$35,800 and began buying land around the Arlington area
where he soon built a new home.
He joined the CSA army
as a private and was quickly promoted to Captain, a rank he
held until leaving the service. After “retiring” from the
State legislature in 1870, he was appointed to the newly
formed board of the Albany-Mobile-New Orleans Railroad
Company, later renamed the Central Railroad &
Banking Company, that became part of Southern
Railroad that is now part of Norfolk-Southern Railroad. Mr.
Pepper also served as Arlington’s first station agent. Mr.
Franklin Pepper was known by his honorary title Colonel
Colonel Peppers’ son,
James Daniel Pepper is considered the Founder of the City of
Arlington. Soon after the
Colonel’s appointment to the railroad board, James Pepper
hired Major Audley J Maxwell of Dougherty County to survey
out land lots and streets for a town to be called Arlington
for which Major Maxwell was paid 50% for every lot sold.
Given both Colonel Pepper’s and Major Maxwell’s service in
the CSA, it is not specifically noted but is assumed they
selected to name the new town after General Lee’s forfeited
Arlington Chief of Police
Arlington City Clerk
Mary Jane King
Assistant City Clerk
Pam Jackson Davis
Arlington Steets & Roads
Elemar Johnson Jr.
City of Arlington
Copyright (c) 2008-2013 CalhounCountyGeorgia.com. All rights reserved.