CITY OF EDISON
P.O. Box 337
Edison, Georgia 39846-0337
Fax (229) 835-2081
Mayor Pro Tem
Welcome To Edison, Georgia!
King Cotton Horse Show
The first King Cotton Horse
Show was held in Edison, Georgia in 1935 and remains a
major attraction today. Sponsored by the Edison Lions Club,
people from all over come to see this extraordinary event
which is held in May on Mother's Day weekend.
65 Mile High Cotton Yard
The 65 Mile High
Cotton Yard Sale is held on the 2nd Saturday in November each year
and attracts thousands of visitors from all over the southeast.
Edison has an excellent
hometown atmosphere. It is the location for
the Calhoun County High/Middle School and the Calhoun County
Library. Also known as a major farm supply and service
center for the area, Edison provides many goods and services for
its citizens as well as for citizens of Calhoun
Edison is situated above
Georgia's most productive groundwater supply, the Floridian
aquifer. This aquifer, also known as the principal artesian
aquifer, may be the largest aquifer in the world. We have an
abundant fresh water supply.
Edison is within 9 miles of
Hwy 27, which is a 4 lane highway connecting us to other
parts of the state. Airports are within easy reach in
Albany, Columbus, Dothan and Tallahassee.
Medical facilities are also
available at the Edison Medical Center, Willowwood Personal
Care Home and the Calhoun County Nursing Home.
According to the Calhoun
County Historical Society, the first settlement of present
day Edison was
originally named Keyton in 1877 after the postmaster, John
T. Keyton. The landowners from Randolph County called it
Nubbintown as it was located where the well-worn Hartford
Trail crossed the road from Cuthbert to Bainbridge.
George W. Wiggins was appointed postmaster and in 1886 he
succeeded in having the name changed from Keyton to Edison in homage to
the genius of Thomas Edison, inventor.
The fledging town
centered around Wiley Watkins's store that had also housed
the Keyton post office. Other businesses sprang up in
response to needs and the nearby churches of Salem and Mars
Hill Baptist ministered to the families.